Wednesday, March 21, 2012

National Wildlife Refuge

I felt like I was in the jaws of Jurassic Park.  It’s a 5 mile car ride around the perimeter all covered by dirt and gravel.  The drive encircles a large binding fence.  For all I know, it is electrified; although, I ruled that out by the time of the interview.  Driving around, there were two pheasants playing on the gated side.  I took pictures from the car.  The hawk I say flew away when I snapped a picture.  This could have been the same hawk I snapped from the other side, less he flew in the other direction.  The Elks were always to the left.  Halfway around, we hit a fork in the road.  We kept to our circle and met the San Joaquin river basin.  There were spots to stop and fish.  One spot had handicap plaques, with cement walkways and iron railings leading to a fishery.  It was getting late in the evening and no one was fishing.  We were finishing the drive when we reached an observation point.  We got out and walked up the rail to the telescope.  My time was spent reading the boards of local wildlife, and then I peered into the telescope.  But I saw closer animals to the road.  We loaded the car and drove around to where we started, the wildlife refuge’ auto tour.
The day was late, and I didn’t give myself as much time needed, but there was far more than I could cover in a day.  I’d return for the visitor center, hiking trails, and the countless birds that will soon be migrating in.  Everything here is calm, serene!

Surrounding our community are the Federal Reserve’s, the state protected land, and countless duck clubs; all producing and protecting one of the richest and most diverse habitats.
With President Theodore Roosevelt’s love for the outdoors, and his role in conserving the diversity of wildlife with the National Park, many people today can still enjoy nature.
The Wild life preserve protects native wildlife that would otherwise go under with the plow.  The main exhibit of the auto tour, the Tule Elk, almost dropped off within the 1800’s if it wasn't for the preserves. 
The San Luis, San Joaquin preserve is home to many native birds and the resting grounds for many wintering birds.  With its 8,358 acres, these wetlands are home to many pintails, mallards, four types of geese, and the sandhill crane.  The fall and spring venues include the phalaropes, yellowlegs, dowitchers, long-billed curlews, black-bellied plovers, and white-faced ibis.  These birds, and the elk, can be visited by taking the auto tour guide into the wetlands.


1 comment:

  1. I'm Абрам Александр a businessman who was able to revive his dying lumbering business through the help of a God sent lender known as Benjamin Lee the Loan Consultant. Am resident at Yekaterinburg Екатеринбург. Well are you trying to start a business, settle your debt, expand your existing one, need money to purchase supplies. Have you been having problem trying to secure a Good Credit Facility, I want you to know that Mr Benjamin will see you through. Is the right place for you to resolve all your financial problem because am a living testimony and i can't just keep this to myself when others are looking for a way to be financially lifted.. I want you all to contact this God sent lender using the details as stated in other to be a partaker of this great opportunity Email: 247officedept@gmail.com  Or  WhatsApp/Text +1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete